Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Clinical Microbial Ecology
ACE has an immediate opening for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Clinical Microbial Ecology to work with Professor Philip Hugenholtz. In this role, you will be required to carry out research on culture-independent characterisation of microbial communities associated with human health and disease using high-throughput sequencing. The successful applicant will conduct bioinformatic and biostatistical analysis of microbial marker gene amplicon data sets as well as metagenomic data sets to determine relationships between microbial populations and clinical manifestations of disease with a focus on the human gut, skin and respiratory tract. The research will be carried out in collaboration with clinical units at local hospitals. This position also involves advising and supervising post-graduate students working on similar projects.
The successful candidate will have a PhD in molecular biology or bioinformatics, or a relevant area of computational science or biology. Strong communication and writing skills are essential, as cross-disciplinary collaboration is critical for success. It is also essential to have an understanding of ethical considerations involved in working with clinical samples and data.
This is a 1 year full-time, fixed term appointment at Research Academic level A. The remuneration package will be in the range $72,443 - $77,764 p.a., plus employer superannuation contributions of up to 17% (total package will be in the range $84,759 - $90,984 p.a.).
All applicants must address the selection criteria and supply the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
The covering letter should include your contact address and telephone number. It is an opportunity, in not more than one page, to introduce yourself and highlight the key reasons you should be considered for the role.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
A resume/curriculum vitae is a brief history of your employment and experience that includes the following information:
- Educational qualifications and professional affiliations that detail the full title of the qualification, the year awarded and the title of the institution attended.
- Employment history in chronological order, starting with current position and specifying dates of employment, title of each position, name of employer, main duties or accountabilities and achievements.
- The names and contact details (address, telephone, fax and e-mail) of three referees, including, if possible, a senior person (preferably your supervisor or the head of your organisational unit) closely associated with your current work.
- Original documents will not be returned.
- Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- You must have existing unrestricted Australian work rights to apply for this position.
Closing date applications
22 April 2013
Information for Prospective Staff
For information about the University, the State of Queensland, living in Brisbane and employment at the University please visit the University’s web site (http://www.uq.edu.au/).
Schedule 10 of The University of Queensland Enterprise Agreement 2010 – 2013 outlines the position classification standards for Levels A to E.
For information on completing the application process click here.